Sony today has announced the PS3 Slim priced at $299 USD. The new PS3 slim takes on a whole new look, is smaller and more power efficient. PS3 Slim will be on sale starting September 1st (along with FW 3.0).
Some notable features of the new PS3 (full list at end):
- Product Code: CECH-2000 (Charcoal Black)
- Comes with 120GB HDD
- NO OtherOS (Meaning no Linux)
- Memory: 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
- Dimensions: approx 290 × 65 × 290 mm (width × height × length)
- Weight: 3.2kg
- 33% smaller, and 36% lighter than previous PS3 models
- Will ship with Firmware 3.0 installed
Based off the dimensions I found it interesting that the PS3 was a box. Sony obviously is trying to cut down on production costs so the PS3 does not look as beautiful as its predecessors. The power plug has changed in this version as well, it seems that the power cables for the PS3 Slim will be similar to those of PS1 and PS2 (external adapter).
The cooling system for the PS3 has been redesigned to allow less noise than before (as if it was loud):
The internal design architecture of the new PS3 system, from the main semiconductors and power supply unit, to the cooling mechanism, has been completely redesigned, achieving a much slimmer and lighter body. Compared to the very first PS3 model with 60GB HDD, the internal volume as well as its thickness and weight are trimmed down to approximately two-thirds. Furthermore, power consumption is also cut to two-thirds, helping to reduce fan noise.
You can view all the images of the PS3 Slim below:
You can also view a video of the unboxing of PS3 Slim:
Definitely interested in this new SKU, although the lack of OtherOS is a setback, its probably a nice upgrade from my clunky 20gb PS3 . Internal images and information to come soon.
Full technical list:
Product Outline: PlayStation®3 (CECH-2000)
Product name: PlayStation®3
Product code: CECH-2000 (Charcoal Black)
CPU: Cell Broadband Engine™
Audio output: LPCM 7.1ch, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC.
Memory: 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
Hard disk: 2.5” Serial ATA 120GB *1
Inputs / Outputs *2 Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0): 2
Networking: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) × 1; IEEE 802.11 b/g; Bluetooth® 2.0 (EDR)
Controller: Wireless Controller （Bluetooth®）
AV output Resolution: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i (for PAL 576p, 576i)
AV output HDMI OUT connector *3: 1
AV output AV MULTI OUT connector: 1
AV output Digital out (optical) connector: 1
BD／DVD／CD drive (read only) Maximum read rate: BD × 2 (BD-ROM); DVD × 8 (DVD-ROM); CD × 24 (CD-ROM)
Power: AC 220 – 240, 50/60Hz *4
Power consumption: Approx. 250W
External dimensions (excluding maximum projecting part): Approx. 290 × 65 × 290 mm (width × height × length)
Mass: Approx. 3.2kg
Included *5: PlayStation®3 system × 1; Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®3) × 1; AC power cord × 1; AV cable × 1; USB cable × 1
In addition to PS3 Slim, firmware 3.0 is also being released September 1st. Highlights of the newest firmware below:
- “What’s New” – The “Information Board” will be replaced with a “What’s New” section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, “What’s New” displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.
- Status Indicator – In the top right corner we’ve added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.
- Friends List – Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends’ respective profiles.
- PlayStation Store Shortcuts – We’ve added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.
- Personalization – Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.
- Trophies – Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories—base trophies and add-on trophies—that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.