• PS3 Hacks , 25.01.2010

    Here is an interview GeoHot apparently has apparently done with BBC relating to the most recent news of the PS3 hack quoted below:

    A US hacker who gained notoriety for unlocking Apple’s iPhone as a teenager has told BBC News that he has now hacked Sony’s PlayStation 3 (PS3).

    George Hotz said the hack, which could allow people to run pirated games or homemade software, took him five weeks.

    He said he was still refining the technique but intended to post full details online soon.

    The PS3 is the only games console that has not been hacked, despite being on the market for three years.

    “It’s supposed to be unhackable - but nothing is unhackable,” Mr Hotz told BBC News.

    “I can now do whatever I want with the system. It’s like I’ve got an awesome new power - I’m just not sure how to wield it.”

    Sony said it was “investigating the report” and would “clarify the situation” when it had more information.

    ‘Open curiosity’

    Mr Hotz said that he had begun the hack last summer when he had spent three weeks analysing the hardware.

    After a long break, he spent a further two weeks cracking the console, which he described as a “very secure system”.

    He said that he was not yet ready to reveal the full details of the hack but said that it was “5% hardware and 95% software”.

    “You can use hardware to inject an insecurity and then you can build on that,” he said.

    He admitted that he had not managed to hack the whole system, including the protected memory, but had worked out ways to trick the console into doing what he wanted.

    Mr Hotz said that he was continuing to work on the hack and, once finished, would publish details online in a similar way to his previous iPhone exploits.

    In particular, he said, he would publish details of the console’s “root key”, a master code that once known would make it easier for others to decipher and hack other security features on the console.

    He said his motivation was “curiosity” and “opening up the platform”.

    “To tell you the truth, I’ve never really played a PS3,” he said. “I have one game, but I’ve never really played it.”

    Opening the system could allow people to install other operating systems on their console and play homemade games, he said.

    In addition, he said, the hack would allow people to play older PS2 games on their consoles.

    Recent versions of the PS3 do not have the ability to play PS2 games after Sony controversially removed a piece of hardware.

    He admitted that it could also allow people to run pirated games.

    “I’m not going to personally have anything to do with that,” he told BBC News.

    Gaming firms do not take the issue of game piracy and console modification lightly. Recently, Microsoft disconnected thousands of gamers from its online gaming service Xbox Live for modifying their consoles to play pirated games.

    Mr Hotz said that the nature of his PS3 hack means that Sony may have difficulty patching the exploit.

    “We are investigating the report and will clarify the situation once we have more information,” said a Sony spokesman.

    Mr Hotz rose to fame in 2007 at the age of 17 when he unlocked the iPhone, which could only be used on the AT&T network in the US at launch.

    The hack allowed the popular handset to be used on any network.

    He has since released various other hacks, allowing people to unlock later versions of the popular handset.

    [VIA]

    Tags: , , , , , ,

    Discuss in Forums (10)


  • 10 Comments

    1. Ihatecompvir
      01-25-2010
      04:15 PM
      1

      No!
      I don't want George to be shut down, this is the closest we've ever gotten to having homebrew.

    2. devinger
      01-25-2010
      05:53 PM
      2

      I think the highest risc we have is that george will except a buyout from sony. If we could donate to him hmm...

    3. Sublimewulf
      01-25-2010
      06:49 PM
      3

      He will not be bought out, I'm sure of it. He would be hated by the community, and I'm sure he gets quite a bit of the kickbacks from the Cydia/Rock store and advertisements.

    4. TheMartian
      01-26-2010
      02:13 AM
      4

      While he deserves it, I still think he should avoid that sort of public fame. He's part of the underground, something's wrong here. I hope it's me.

    5. KARIM1
      01-26-2010
      04:59 AM
      5

      well im more then happy that homebrew may be the future of ps3 but as said above now sony will hunt the poor guy down sendiing ninjas and comandos BUT isit it prudent for him to have released this now when hes still that arms reach away from total control of our black boxs brain wellgod keep you safe as iv a bunch of ps2 games i wldnt mind playing again xD great work an hope hes able to complete what hes started.

      and i will def be donating to his cause F*ck Fony dont take their money

    6. pcmacro
      01-26-2010
      07:00 AM
      6

      Originally Posted by KARIM1
      well im more then happy that homebrew may be the future of ps3 but as said above now sony will hunt the poor guy down sendiing ninjas and comandos BUT isit it prudent for him to have released this now when hes still that arms reach away from total control of our black boxs brain wellgod keep you safe as iv a bunch of ps2 games i wldnt mind playing again xD great work an hope hes able to complete what hes started.

      and i will def be donating to his cause F*ck Fony dont take their money
      **** sony yet you want to play their system.

    7. soplox2
      01-28-2010
      05:23 AM
      7

      In addition, he said, the hack would allow people to play older PS2 games on their consoles.




      That's cool! but that mean on the slim too?

    8. Thaiko
      03-12-2010
      11:44 AM
      8

      I have 2 questions,

      How will he make the ps3 so he can play ps2 games on it. He said sony removed a piece of hardware... So he put that piece of hardware back? I dont think he can do it with only software... If he maenad to say they removed a piece of software than it makes more sense...

      And second, the hack works on all ps3? the first edition too? The 60gb who was the first one...

      I hope the chip will be in stores soon

      Greetings,
      Elrick

    9. Suzuka
      03-20-2010
      01:04 PM
      9

      Originally Posted by Thaiko
      I have 2 questions,

      How will he make the ps3 so he can play ps2 games on it. He said sony removed a piece of hardware... So he put that piece of hardware back? I dont think he can do it with only software... If he maenad to say they removed a piece of software than it makes more sense...

      And second, the hack works on all ps3? the first edition too? The 60gb who was the first one...

      I hope the chip will be in stores soon

      Greetings,
      Elrick
      I've seen DC emulation on a PSP and PSX emulation on an ipod, I believe it is possible to emulate a PS2 on a PS3, its just a matter of how well it works

    10. General Plot
      03-20-2010
      03:04 PM
      10

      Originally Posted by Suzuka
      I've seen DC emulation on a PSP and PSX emulation on an ipod, I believe it is possible to emulate a PS2 on a PS3, its just a matter of how well it works
      I'm a betatester for PCSX2 (and have done some coding for it in the past as well), and all of us in the team have said before that if homebrew ever opens up on the PS3, that we would port our emulator to it and do what Sony promised and never delivered on: true full software emulation of the PS2 on the PS3 in full HD resolution on EVERY PS3.