While most people are eagerly waiting for a backup manager to accompany the Geohot CFW, it seems that Riku.kh3 has managed to boot PS3 game backup (Castlevania: Lords of Shadow) WITHOUT the need of a BM. What he did was essentially trick the PS3 into thinking that the game backup is actually a PSN game (by patching EBOOT.BIN).
So how do you patch your own EBOOT? Well Riku.kh3 has posted a small guide below, it by no means is newb friendly and requires you to know what you are doing, to quote:
1) Download and compile latest tools from git.fail0verflow.com Git (old versions of unself produce incorrect ELF)
2) Extract ELF from SELF
3) Hexedit ELF, find and replace dev_bdvd to correct path on dev_hdd0 (not all, but most games require this step)
4) Build NPDRM SELF using Geohot’s tools
5) Build package using psn_package_npdrm
6) Patch your builded package using Geohot’s tool (only for 3.55 firmware)
That’s it. If you can’t follow this guide, more detailed guide won’t help you.
And here is the modified EBOOT for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow:
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (BLES01047) signed&packed EBOOT (33.5MB)
1) Install PKG file.
2) Transfer contents of USRDIR folder, EXCEPT EBOOT.BIN, to /devhdd0/game/BLES01047/USRDIR/
Thats all! Tested! The game will work from XMB on retail nonJB 3.41, 3.55 and future versions.
Let us know your results with other games.
[VIA PSX-SCENE] – Thanks to StevieD and SaveU for the news tip!