November will be the PS3′s sixth birthday and there is no doubt that Sony are thinking about or planning their next console, which will start rumours flying around, Kotaku have learned some details of Sony’s next gen console, whether these details turn out to be true, only time will tell, here are some of those rumours:
- Codename/Working Name – Orbis
- Release Date – Holiday Season 2013
- CPU – AMD x64 CPU
- GPU – AMD Southern Islands GPU
Not a lot of detail, but considering this is a rumour and the ‘PS4′ probably wont be released for at least another two years, only time will tell, the sooner developers get their hands on devs machines, the closer we will be to learning machine specs, anyhow, here are some more details, some of what seem a bit controversial:
- Orbis games will have a resolution up to 4096×2160.
- It will be able to play 3D games in true 1080p.
- It wont be able to play PS3 games.
- Will lock new games to a PSN account as an anti-used games measure, thus killing off the possibility to buy pre-owned games.
- Games will be on Blu Ray or downloaded straight from PSN/SEN or whatever they decide to call it by then.
Vita is Latin for Life, whilst Orbis is Latin for Circle, so when the Orbis is released, the two combined will complete the “Circle Of Life” :p
Some new images courtesy of Kotaku