• General, PSVita Hacks, Software , 21.07.2012

    A developer by the name of xerpi has recently discovered a user mode exploit in the PlayStation Vita. He’s also succeeded in porting Vita Half-Byte Loader (VHBL) - which reportedly took less than ten minutes. The developer has not divulged any information regarding the exploit’s execution but because xerpi has a heart warmer than ten suns, he’s posted pictures online for us to admire and possibly engage in active discussion about ’till more details arise. In short: This is great news for any Vita owner waiting to get their hands on some nice homebrew. Information regarding most Vita exploits will likely arise after the highly anticipated 1.8 update, which brings PlayStation Classic support to the handheld. Stay tuned!

    Pictures:

    [Source]
    [xerpi Twitter] 

     

    Discuss in Forums (8)


  • 8 Comments

    1. dafank
      07-21-2012
      06:18 PM
      1

      another spaniard doing good stuff

    2. Persian McLovin
      07-21-2012
      07:52 PM
      2

      Awesome, can't wait to see what comes of the PS Vita hacking scene in it's lifetime!

    3. malex
      07-21-2012
      08:03 PM
      3

      You know I don't think I'd ever buy a Vita and break my boycott against sony, but sometimes I do think of twisting my rules... I mean if I buy a second hand console I'm not really supporting those d*ouches' at sony HQ.

      It's a really nice piece of kit, just a shame it's a phony product.

    4. phantomdibb
      07-21-2012
      08:54 PM
      4

      Originally Posted by malex
      You know I don't think I'd ever buy a Vita and break my boycott against sony, but sometimes I do think of twisting my rules... I mean if I buy a second hand console I'm not really supporting those d*ouches' at sony HQ.

      It's a really nice piece of kit, just a shame it's a phony product.
      As long as sony dont recieve the cash for the console its win win. Just get second hand one, i dont think there are that great tho, needs more games. Also better quality games out of the 10 or so games ive got or played only a few were actually worth playing. (thats including psn downloads)

    5. v8s10
      07-21-2012
      10:47 PM
      5

      Originally Posted by malex
      You know I don't think I'd ever buy a Vita and break my boycott against sony, but sometimes I do think of twisting my rules... I mean if I buy a second hand console I'm not really supporting those d*ouches' at sony HQ.

      It's a really nice piece of kit, just a shame it's a phony product.
      That's why I bought a broken one on eBay for just over $100. Fixed the USB port, I had to play uncharted, but hated the thought of paying Sony $250 + tax for a new one.

    6. SuperDre
      07-21-2012
      11:43 PM
      6

      it's still the psp-emu part that is hacked, but the ps-vita itself is still unhacked.... but then again, due to the ps-suite sdk, there is no reason to hack it, you can create and run homebrew natively due to it....

    7. Squarepusher2
      07-22-2012
      12:17 AM
      7

      Originally Posted by SuperDre
      it's still the psp-emu part that is hacked, but the ps-vita itself is still unhacked.... but then again, due to the ps-suite sdk, there is no reason to hack it, you can create and run homebrew natively due to it....
      PS Suite SDK is a purposely gimped slow piece of crap - it has been purposely designed so that no emulator of any kind can ever be made playable with it. (unless you like sub-1fps performance)

      It's next to useless for any serious homebrew application due to the way it handles video/audio and the fact your code has to be in C# - ie. you're in managed code sandbox land with the wonderful garbage collector and all 'cleaning up after you' because oh jolly - memory management is oh so difficult if left up the coders - we can't have that - instead, we have to train more people how NOT to code. This and the wonderful virtual machine (CLR) will bring your performance down even further. Again, lovely 'homebrew' SDK they dished out for the mases - I can wipe my arse with it - not only is it not even a patch on the real SDK at all, but you can't even write Android/iOS-quality apps with this - at least on Android I can use the NDK to be able to run my C/C++ code from within Java with pretty good performance.

      So no, there 'would' be a reason to hack it - but still, wake me up when this goes beyond VHBL - I still have an old PSP so I won't be needing a Vita for old PSP homebrew anytime soon.

    8. malex
      07-22-2012
      11:52 PM
      8

      Originally Posted by phantomdibb
      As long as sony dont recieve the cash for the console its win win. Just get second hand one, i dont think there are that great tho, needs more games. Also better quality games out of the 10 or so games ive got or played only a few were actually worth playing. (thats including psn downloads)
      Originally Posted by v8s10
      That's why I bought a broken one on eBay for just over $100. Fixed the USB port, I had to play uncharted, but hated the thought of paying Sony $250 + tax for a new one.
      I'm not even looking at the games that are available now, or will be available later... I'm jut thinking of a replacement portable emu powerhouse to replace my aging psp, maybe get some portable N64 gaming :D

      But as [MENTION=230356]Squarepusher2[/MENTION] pointed out, it'll need to be hacked for that to happen. If I do see one at a bargain price I'll jump on it though, I can always just keep it tucked away 'til I find something to do with it.