• General, PS3 Hacks, Uncategorized, X , 15.10.2012

    Interesting article to read.

    To quote:

    007 was a tough year for Sony. I remember it well; you couldn’t go a day without seeing another doom-and-gloom headline pertaining to the PlayStation brand.

    Now, I’d like to make one thing clear- Sony brought a lot of that upon themselves. The PS3 launch did not go well; it was way too expensive, the US launch was essentially botched, and the technology it boasted (including the now dominant Blu-Ray) was just ahead of its time and hardly had mainstream appeal. On top of which, as is typically the case at the start of a new console’s life span, everyone complained about a lack of great software (despite Resistance: Fall of Man at launch).

    Furthermore, as the years have progressed, we had the PlayStation Network debacle, and there’s no denying that the new PlayStation Vita portable is falling a little shy of expectations. Then you’ve got the general unrest in the Sony Corporation as a whole, brought on by a variety of factors, and the fact that we’re missing big heavy-hitting exclusives for this holiday season. So on the one hand, one can understand why we’re starting to see those very same doom-and-gloom articles from over five years ago…and on the other hand, one has to wonder what Sony has to do to fully emerge from this thundercloud under which they labor.

    Maybe it’s because the PS2 was the undisputed king of the hill in just about every respect, so expectations for the PS3 were through the roof; one might even say the expectations were downright impossible to live up to. But at this rate, given what most would consider to be the fact that Sony has excelled in the realm of exclusive software this generation (as it has done every generation), I’m wondering when anyone will give the PS3 any credit at all. For future software, I see nothing even remotely approaching the likes of The Last Of Us and Beyond: Two Souls on the Xbox 360 and Wii, and it seems to be commonly accepted that Microsoft and Nintendo need a new console long before Sony.

    Plus, it seems like every holiday season we’ve had a pretty huge exclusive for the PS3. So the one year that we don’t suddenly spells disaster? And of course, the Vita is already “dead” in the eyes of many, which sounds a lotlike the knee-jerk reactions to the PS3 from 2007. And it doesn’t really matter what Sony says on any issue; it typically only results in mocking headlines, poking fun at Sony for their “marathon, not a sprint” and “hidden power” comments. Well, in my estimation both comments have proven true; all one has to do is look at the obvious longevity of the PlayStation platforms, and compare late software to early software. Simple.

    But that is all conveniently overlooked. Nintendo has taken some flak for the Wii U, but it’s tough to find any articles questioning Microsoft or the Xbox 360 (especially in this country), and neither platform is under such heavy scrutiny anywhere near as often - or as much - as Sony. And it doesn’t look like it’ll stop any time soon. Any bets that when the PS4 is launched, regardless of the details, there will be more anti-PS4 than pro-PS4 articles…? Hot money’s on the former.

    One final point- The insane bashing from 2007 said the PS3 wouldn’t even last; said it would remain dead last in sales forever.  The PS3 has been around for one year LESS than the 360 and according to worldwide tallies, the total sales numbers are basically EVEN. That means the PS3 sold as many 360s around the globe in a lot less time. And do you realize how far behind the PS3 was in 2007…? But I suppose we can overlook that as well.

     

    [Source] = PSXextreme

    Discuss in Forums (26)


  • 26 Comments

    1. poorguy
      10-15-2012
      12:54 AM
      1

      Great read... Nice find [MENTION=186943]hellsing9[/MENTION]... Although I can say that one of the reasons why the PS3 sales shot through the roof was the 3.41 and 3.55 episodes which allowed warez and homebrew. And I don't really know when the xbox 360 was first hacked but everyone has always held the words "PS" at a level higher than "XBOX" and of course as the article says, the PS2 will always be remembered as the king of the hill..
      ************* [ - Post Merged - ] *************
      You know, if $ony is going through another 2007 they always a perfect solution to their worries.. Releasing "OtherOS" and the "private keys" for 4.30..:P would give them a perfect 2013..

    2. psg
      10-15-2012
      01:52 AM
      2

      Fantastic read, thank you for that [MENTION=186943]hellsing9[/MENTION].

      That means the PS3 sold as many 360s around the globe in a lot less time.
      This is even more astonishing, when you recall that the 360 hardware has 60% failure rate (in the UK, should be about the same everywhere else), and stories about people having to buy 2-3 360s aren't rare. So, if you were to go per household, ps3 might be the winner by a comfortably wide margin.

      I am one of the lucky few whose 360 hasn't broken down yet. Probably because I don't play it very often, as time to just sit down and play games is rare these days. But would it kick the bucket, then I would either have to give up all the game licenses I have purchased through their live service, or just empty my wallet for another console, as warranty has long expired.

    3. lilkuz2005
      10-15-2012
      01:53 AM
      3

      i think the ps3 has lived up to my expectations, i mean as a stock system it is better then the 360, it has more options right out of the box, it does cost more even now, but the system has a greater resale on the street, the wii to me isn't on the same level as the ps3 or the 360. i don't really care for exclusive titles. i think its crap when a console company does this, i game on my PC's more than my consoles because the service is free for online gaming mostly, and there is more mature players, i find my self getting pissed off when gaming on psn or live because of the adolescence. "we shouldn't need to mute our headsets to enjoy a game" my only static about the ps3 as a system is its tight security measures and the company telling me that i dont really own the system even after paying the premium for it. i have more fun modding consoles then i do actually playing them anymore and i feel that the xbox 360 is the better choice for system mods because of all the activity in the 360 scene, so many different ways to run backups, now rgh has made it so pretty much all xbox's can be used as a jtag, just my 2�

    4. james194zt
      10-15-2012
      03:33 AM
      4

      Originally Posted by lilkuz2005
      i think the ps3 has lived up to my expectations, i mean as a stock system it is better then the 360, it has more options right out of the box, it does cost more even now, but the system has a greater resale on the street, the wii to me isn't on the same level as the ps3 or the 360. i don't really care for exclusive titles. i think its crap when a console company does this, i game on my PC's more than my consoles because the service is free for online gaming mostly, and there is more mature players, i find my self getting pissed off when gaming on psn or live because of the adolescence. "we shouldn't need to mute our headsets to enjoy a game" my only static about the ps3 as a system is its tight security measures and the company telling me that i dont really own the system even after paying the premium for it. i have more fun modding consoles then i do actually playing them anymore and i feel that the xbox 360 is the better choice for system mods because of all the activity in the 360 scene, so many different ways to run backups, now rgh has made it so pretty much all xbox's can be used as a jtag, just my 2�
      I am in the same boat, my 360 is the most fun to "play" with as in f*** around with and I get more of a kick out of messing with the console than playing games on it.

      Love my PS3 for my JRPG games though which is why I bought it and have enjoyed 3.55 since it happened, also loving my eCFW Vita as it is just awesome (shame the Vita side is a bit **** but it makes a wicked PSP).

      You also have to remember with these sales figures that the Japanese flat out rejected the 360 its sales figures are a joke so look at it the other way around, they are still ahead with a massive gaming region rejecting it! if the Japanese were doing like a lot of us do and have both consoles I suspect the number would be much higher.

      PS I have no allegiance to Xbox I play games and mess with consoles so have all systems (yes even a Wii that is gathering dust)

    5. Cheesethief
      10-15-2012
      04:05 AM
      5

      A good article. I think this one is more about the PS Vita than the PS3. Telling people to quiet down and just see what happens with it.

      The Vita is young and having some exciting games coming out. I really want Silent Hill Book of Memories and Little Big Planet right now... Killzone for it also looks awesome. I need to save up some money....

    6. BobbyBlunt
      10-15-2012
      04:24 AM
      6

      Wow PS3 launch ....seems so long ago but it wasnt. I got mine in 2006 during the North American launch. I bought the $600 60 gig sku, Resistance, NFS:Carbon, and shortly after I also bought Fight Night Round 3 and a couple of other titles that I ended up trading in towards Motorstorm at the beginning of 2007. I remember how bad I bragged when I picked it up, and sadly I used it more for PS2 software than anything. I was still big on playing SOCOM: Combined Assault mp for PS2. March 2007 was the release of God Of War 2 and I once again was using a PS3 to play a PS2 game. I also bought my first HD tv back then. Man am I glad the prices have come down on those. I paid right at $1000 for an off brand 37 inch 1080i walmart special . Good times, but once I got to the middle of 2007 and my shelf only held like 6 PS3 titles I started to wonder about the future of the device I purchased. I remember being like a little kid on Christmas morning when I open that box and started to hook up the PS3. I had a constant smile on my face the entire time. Sadly many of my PS2 online friends and personal friends chose to hop on board the xbox 360 bandwagon because it was cheaper. For the first year as a PS3 owner I was the only person that I knew that had a PS3.

      Things started to look up during Fall of 2007. SOCOM was finally starting to die for me and there were very few good PS3 games let alone PS3 mp games. I put in a good amount of time with Resistance one, and I became pretty damn good at it. I can even remember this one day I am about to talk about very clearly. I had gotten off of work, my daughter was with grandparents, and my girlfriend at the time was at work. It was payday for us and I decided to go splurge a bit. At first I only went in to buy a good bluetooth headset, but for whatever reason I made an impulse buy and also walked out with a PS3 game as well. Now I never impulse buy any game ever without knowing a little something about it, but I was tired of having no games, and was willing to try anything new. OK now don't laugh at me LOL..... Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare. I hated first person shooters for the most part (Resistance did grow on me) but I threw the game in and WOW.... it was like I was playing the most epic game ever made. I had only played one other Call of Duty game, and that was either CoD 2 or 3 on a 360 demo kiosk for maybe 10 minutes. More of the old PS2 SOCOM clan started coming over to PS3, and we all had one game in common we could play and actually enjoyed like we did SOCOM (Nothing will ever replace old SOCOM. I feel sorry for anyone that missed out on that little piece of awesome that consumed a big part of my life outside of work for a few years) We go into the Christmas season that year to see even more people finally getting a PS3. So now my console didnt seem so bad since I once again had a friend's list full of people I could play with like I did with PS2 online, and what at the time was probably the best game on PS3. Holiday season 2007 is also the year that we saw the first of a new "base" model. Many people were pissed because they didn't research this new PS3. All they knew was that they were getting a PS3. Well I feel sorry for those people that didn't spend the extra $100 because they were stuck with a 40 gig model. I also imported a dualshock 3 around that same time even though MotorStorm was the only game I had that would support it, because we were still months away from a US release for that controller.

      Memories....
      2006 2007 was also the time frame when I actually decided to start joining in on discussion boards. I joined afterdawn.com because of how many PS2 tutorials I had gotten from there before I got my PS3. During this time is around the same time I met [MENTION=7773]GregoryRasputin[/MENTION]. If you see my join date here which was August 2007, I made an account here because of the PS3proxy tutorial that allowed many of us to get into the Warhawk beta. Wow seems like just a few months ago when it has actually been a lot longer. 2007 may have sucked for PS3, but there were still some awesome times that I may never forget.

      You may have noticed but I was a bit of a fanboy....LOL. Sad that Sony decided to take the next few years to show us just how much they really cared about us (the customers.) I saw what was probably one of my favorite consumer electronics companies just start to go down the toilet. 2007 was a rough year for Sony, but even with a much bigger line up of games, and models that were affordable for almost anyone, 2007 was not PS3's worst year.... I think PS3s worst year had to be 2010. This is the year we saw that Sony would take away a big feature from all PS3 owners, and give everyone an ultimatum. Sony had shown its true colors to everyone, but this is also the year we saw 3.41 and the jailbreak dongles. This year was great for the PS3 modding community but was the beginning of the end for any respect I had left for the company. 2011 started off great. 3.55 MFW :D and a few months later the return of OtherOS. This year was the final nail in Sony's coffin for me. This was the year that showed me that SOny felt justified about removing OtherOS, and started suing anyone just for saying the word hack LOL. f0f was trying to return a feature which Sony had no right taking away from us, but they get sued by Sony when I believe everyone knows that the true intention of f0f was simply to return linux to the customers. So you pay for a feature, that they can take away without any real warning, then sue because you tried to restore the feature you felt was unjustly taken away to begin with. Sad times.... I am not even going to mention geohot because I honestly dont give 2 ****s about the guy. You can argue this point if you want but the way I see it is the ps3 community paid for his legal counsel, his South American vacation, only to have him settle out of court with the only term of the agreement being announced was that he had agreed to stay away from hacking Playstation devices. I wonder how much of that donation money was left over, and if the EFF really saw the leftovers like he had promised. I can understand getting scared in a courtroom full of overpaid bullies and bribed civil court officials, but he had to tell some good stuff to get Sony to just let him off the hook.....and run away with donation money (like I said it isn't a debate on this matter because we all know the story, and we all have our own conclusions.)

      Many great memories. Would I do it all over again? Honestly if I could have seen the future, I might have taken my friend's advice and bought a 360 and wii for just $50 more than the original PS3 price. It isn't that I don't like the PS3 console because I really do, but we saw that Sony didn't really think through any type of gameplan, they had a tiny tiny library of games which were mostly bad ports from 360 (Rainbow 6 Vegas for example), we would see PS3s start to lose features just a little over a year into the device's life cycle, and we would continue to see how Sony really felt about customers and the homebrew community. I still laugh at how they think I purchased a $600 license and the hardware isn't mine to do with whatever I please.

      This generation really hurt Sony in the eyes of many of the PS brand loyalists. I will not be an early PS4 adopter, if I even get one at all. I bought a PS3 for 3 reasons, SOCOM, God of War, and Tekken. Well SOCOM is trash now, Tekken is multi platform (good job Sony for losing not only an exclusive, but the best 3d fighter out there IMO) and anything God of War after God of War 3 is just Sony milking every ounce of milk that it can out of that cash cow. Sony hasn't given me any reason continue to be a loyalist.

      RIP SOny....you may still sell consoles, but you drove away a big part of your cutomer base. If you don't hit the ground running like you guys did with PS2, then PS5 doesn't look like it will ever even hit the design stage. I hope you can pick it up and somehow regain some customer loyalty, but I believe there is already too much damage done to your reputation.

      The playstation brand..... the brand that pulled me away from nintendo products, gave me years of enjoyment, introduced me to the world of console modding, only years later to turn around and make me hate almost everything about it. Now we deal with Sony being above the law, the issue of whether the device we paid for is actually ours, and this recently got me....A SCENE FULL OF SO CALLED HOMEBREW DEVS THAT ONLY CARE ABOUT MONEY AND/OR E-FAME!!!! A lot of these underground devs are a lot of the reason I stepped away and really stopped being active. I have seen money being made of some dirty practices, hacks withheld unless you were deemed worthy by the so called leet devs that tried to act like they wanted what all of us wanted, and some complex that they were above the average end user. I have seen ****** bag modders in every scene that have some ****ed up complex about themselves, but this scene took the prize for most ****ed up underground devs in an underground community that I have EVER seen. Idon't mean all homebrew devs.....hell I dont even need to mention the names of the devs I am talking about because they arent worth the extra 10 seconds it would take to type their names up. Go enjoy your reDRM money and every other hack you have that nobody will ever see unless they cough up some money. Damn shame what you were, and have become now. To the guys that have done work for the community without hiding behind the scenes trying to rape people for money that you had no right earning you still have a great deal of respect from just about everyone. On behalf of everyone, thanks for putting out stuff for the community and not trying to make money by being a dirty dick sucking ******* that sits on some pedestal. I would love to say I would see you all in the next generation of PS products but I may be a little behind everyone else, if I even make it to the party at all.

      [MENTION=186943]hellsing9[/MENTION] great thread you have created for discussion of memories. Thanks

    7. VIRGIN KLM
      10-15-2012
      05:10 AM
      7

      The problem is that pretty early (even a bit before PS3's launch) Sony gave us the taste of their then-starting-to-get-sick ecosystem through countless small evidence you can think of for sure, which was something new in the gaming industry and alot of people that were familiar with the completely different ecosystem of PS2 (which were/are the majority) wouldn't digest such thing whether Sony liked it or not. This eventualy was the defining momment of the end of the saga of Sony being a synonym to perfection at any aspect even when counting that the hardware is not the best in the competition out there. People wouldn't be pleased with nothing which was fair since Sony failed to follow their own succesful strategy formula as the one with PS2 which was in my opinion the most unfortunate thing by Sony. One wrong after the other like a domino that doesn't stop and pretty soon it was too late for Sony. Sony's biggest mistake was that they didn't learn nothing from their mistakes and they thought that they would get away with it just because they have the power of money, forgetting from where this money come from. Another thing I want to say is that if you hear companies like Square Enix admitting publicaly that their most strong series as "Final Fantasy" as a brand "has been greatly damaged" just because of a couple of issues you can guess analogicaly how damaged is the Playstation brand after such a terrible lifespan of PS3 and such bad reception of PSVita. I feel that the brand is so damaged to the point that there is nothing that will turn back time unless the Playstation brand gets merged with another serious brand as Nintendo or get reinvented with another company as let's say Google and re-invent the whole brand into something new as an attempt to consolidate their past. People will not forgive Sony, not now, not in the near future not ever and they have no reason to since they have moved to other brands so far and they are pretty happy with them and this is also something that publishers and developers do aswell.

      My point?

      Sony but more specificaly Playstation as a brand that was a synonym to perfection is pretty dead with absolutely zero percent turning back possibility, there is absolutely nothing that will save Sony out of it's doom of going worse and worse in timeline. We are pretty near it's death as a brand since I doubt it's only me thinking that Sony's last possible console release will be the PS4 (and if that with the latest strategy). The interest that Sony wants us to have in their products is already gone for good years now and this won't change at under any circumstances. They just have to admit a defeat.

    8. Cheesethief
      10-15-2012
      05:16 AM
      8

      [MENTION=13236]VIRGIN KLM[/MENTION]

      You are taking the whole 2010/11 thing as someone in the know. Someone in the hacking scene. So you are greatly upset with the turn of events.

      The thing that damaged Sony most for you, is nothing to the general gaming audience who does not hack. They won't care and won't see it as such a bad thing.

    9. Ubefuct
      10-15-2012
      07:26 AM
      9

      I used to be somewhat of a sony fanboy, as I have many of their products. Hell if sony made a car I would be driving it (and more than likely *****in about it). As of late I too feel as [MENTION=3010]BobbyBlunt[/MENTION] and believe I will not be showing up, or very late to the next 'party'

    10. bigo93
      10-15-2012
      07:55 AM
      10

      The PS3 was a huge disappointment and just got worse after release.

      For of all in the EU, I've said this dozens of times, they removed the memory card slots, 2 usbs, hardware PS2 BC; saving them $60, YET we still had to pay $60 more than US consoles, making $ony and extra $120 for each EU console sold!

      We're used to being ripped off, we are the largest gaming area in the world though, bigger than the US! So yeah charge us more.

      Then we have $uing years, where $ony got away with daylight robbery, literally!
      I dont usually comment telling people to pirate games, but after this I did; if $ony can steal from you, then why dont you steal from them, they got away with it, so why shouldnt you.


      I myself am boycotting $ony products, I did say that the only game I will buy are Assassin's Creed games, so yes I bought Revelations; I was going to buy AC3, but I need a new graphics card for my PC, and coincidentally, some game card manufacturers are going along with Nvidia's promotion where if you buy one of their new 650 Ti cards, you can get AC3 free!
      So I will be getting that, and not have to pay $ony their royalties which the devs have to pay.

    11. tjhooker73
      10-15-2012
      08:02 AM
      11

      I thought the PS3 launch went pretty well..

    12. VIRGIN KLM
      10-15-2012
      08:37 AM
      12

      Originally Posted by Cheesethief
      [MENTION=13236]VIRGIN KLM[/MENTION]

      You are taking the whole 2010/11 thing as someone in the know. Someone in the hacking scene. So you are greatly upset with the turn of events.

      The thing that damaged Sony most for you, is nothing to the general gaming audience who does not hack. They won't care and won't see it as such a bad thing.
      Not true. People were already if not unhappy atleast super unsatified with pretty like everything had to do with PS3 and generaly Playstation products a bit before and after PS3's launch and this was all Sony's fault. Today, virtualy the only reason to like their products is to not care about your consumer rights and being a Sony stan especialy when they don't do the slightest effort to learn from their mistakes. More or less they have admitted that fact on recent public statements accidentaly.

      [MENTION=125372]bigo93[/MENTION]

      Actually I agree with the boycooting part and the you stole me - I steal you part but in the case of games you are just archieving people to lose their jobs and developing/publishing companies closing than actualy Sony getting hurt. I do that pirating thing when I want to hurt a company directly, like EA or Bethesda for being unable to deliver what they promise to deliver or any company that agreed with that online pass thing so I will revenge them, sometimes even if I wont play the game just to raise the percentage of piracy against them and they'll feel the pressure.

    13. LoverboySimer
      10-15-2012
      09:30 AM
      13

      no matter whatever happens
      i love playstation brand much more than any other consoles.
      i really love playing uncharted online n offline way way more than halo n gears combined..

    14. BobbyBlunt
      10-15-2012
      01:49 PM
      14

      Originally Posted by Cheesethief
      [MENTION=13236]VIRGIN KLM[/MENTION]

      You are taking the whole 2010/11 thing as someone in the know. Someone in the hacking scene. So you are greatly upset with the turn of events.

      The thing that damaged Sony most for you, is nothing to the general gaming audience who does not hack. They won't care and won't see it as such a bad thing.
      I have to agree with you. Just go to the official PS boards and look at the way we get bashed. We are the scum of the Earth, and we are responsible for every single hack, mod, glitch, server crash, and even lag that is caused by people using ****ty internet. When MFW had no PSN access, modders still got blamed for cheaters online. Honestly I know more cheaters on OFW than I do cheaters on MFW.

      I can't blame Sony for trying to protect their monetary interests. Anyone else would also do the same. Not liking Sony because of their stance on hacking is kind of dumb, when Sony has given everyone (including OFW users) plenty of other reasons to hate them. I can't stand them because of removing OtherOS, believing that they own a device I paid $600 for, and the final straw was the PSN crash. Server hacks happen, but that ******bag Howard Stringer was too busy crying about the modding community that he couldn't even apologize to users for the downtime.

      Fighting hacks doesn't make any company bad, they are just protecting their investment. Even after saying this a thousand times I still have a hard time getting it to roll off of the tongue but "Maybe Sony should take notes about the proper way to deal with the modding community. It would save time, money, and resources just to ban modded boxes instead of showing how good they are at being courtroom bullies"

      Originally Posted by LoverboySimer
      no matter whatever happens
      i love playstation brand much more than any other consoles.
      i really love playing uncharted online n offline way way more than halo n gears combined..
      Halo and Gears..... sorry and I mean no offense by my next comment, but this is every PS fanboy's argument when it comes to 360 LOL. The PS has the best exclusives hands sown. The only reason I have kept a PS3 around this long is so that I can play awesome exclusives (if anymore ever come out). I can turn on my 360 right now and I bet I will see nobody playing Gears or Halo.

      Gears and Halo are MIcrosoft's flagship exclusives, but that doesn't mean that is the only thing to play on 360. That would be like a 360 fanboy coming in here and trying to argue that live is better because PSN got hacked before.

      I am now going to stand outside both the 360 and PS3 circles and say I can't stand Halo, Gears, or Uncharted multiplayer. All 3 of these games suck once you go online. Halo is full of kids, and Im sorry but why are their shields and health? I can't stand MP games likes this. Gears of War LMAO. I can think of a few people that love it, but why do I have to put damn near a full clip into an enemy, only to down them and not kill them, then have jackass teammate come take the kill and get the points for it? Uncharted Online LMFAO. This **** isn't much better. It has some of the worst hit detection I have ever seen. headshots not counting, chest shots counting as headshots, lag, and many other issues I could go on about. Not to mention that is also has a huge glitching and cheating community like the games I mentioned above. The thing is at least with 360 you can have some hope that they will step in, monitor, and clean up the garbage unlike Sony that is too busy trying to figure out who to sue next instead on trying to make the experience better for their customers.

      Point being bringing multiplayer experience of your favorite game is cool, but it also opens the door for 360 fans to argue why they think their choice of MP game is killing the competition.

      Halo and Gears....I love this Just to throw this out there to anyone that likes mentioning Halo and Gears everytime 360 is mentioned (I used to do it too so I am not bashing anyone) but Call of Noobie is the most played online multiplayer game on PS3 and 360.....

    15. hellsing9
      10-15-2012
      05:02 PM
      15

      That's why i go MP (seriously) on my PC.
      Consoles are way to overrated and pc rigs are way to underrated, yeah you put your blu-ray or dual layer dvd and boom! you are good to go in terms of easy search for some MP fun.

      In PC well, it's another whole different story:

      That's is tweaking the game to perfom better than expected or you can go *console mind wise* and buy the latest vga/micro/mobo/etc and think you can outperform older systems...
      That's the fun of being a PC gamer and not a console one, being honest i bought PS3 for MGS 4 and not for the MP yeah i play COD or BF3 with some friend from time to time.
      But i feel it's not my place in terms of gaming.

      If i want hardcore stuff i have my gaming rig.
      If i want *commodities* and insert only a disc to a tray and start playing i have the consoles or some games that never were released on PC.

    16. BobbyBlunt
      10-15-2012
      05:12 PM
      16

      Originally Posted by hellsing9
      That's why i go MP (seriously) on my PC.
      Consoles are way to overrated and pc rigs are way to underrated, yeah you put your blu-ray or dual layer dvd and boom! you are good to go in terms of easy search for some MP fun.

      In PC well, it's another whole different story:

      That's is tweaking the game to perfom better than expected or you can go *console mind wise* and buy the latest vga/micro/mobo/etc and think you can outperform older systems...
      That's the fun of being a PC gamer and not a console one, being honest i bought PS3 for MGS 4 and not for the MP yeah i play COD or BF3 with some friend from time to time.
      But i feel it's not my place in terms of gaming.

      If i want hardcore stuff i have my gaming rig.
      If i want *commodities* and insert only a disc to a tray and start playing i have the consoles or some games that never were released on PC.
      I was really skeptical at first as far as PC gaming goes. The first thoughts I had were WoW and screw keyboard and mouse over a good ol' controller. I am glad I gave it a shot. If it weren't for awesome console exclusives then I would be done with consoles. I really wish I had just built a good rig in 2006 instead of buying a PS3 for $600. I barely spent that on the PC I am using now.....oh wait, I didn't even spend $600

    17. hellsing9
      10-15-2012
      05:55 PM
      17

      Originally Posted by BobbyBlunt
      I was really skeptical at first as far as PC gaming goes. The first thoughts I had were WoW and screw keyboard and mouse over a good ol' controller. I am glad I gave it a shot. If it weren't for awesome console exclusives then I would be done with consoles. I really wish I had just built a good rig in 2006 instead of buying a PS3 for $600. I barely spent that on the PC I am using now.....oh wait, I didn't even spend $600
      Many PC users are angry (like me) at the fact the all the exclusives goes to consoles.
      I grow tired HONESTLY of waiting 3 months more when the game i wanted to play was released on xbox360 or ps3 first. (Like AS saga)
      Then this *Issue* grow bigger when GTA 4 appeared we PC users don't have a slim chance of get Red dead redepmtion to play on our rigs in a near future.

      I can understand in some point that pathetic lame excuse of game studios/developers that a gaming rig has tons of configurations and most of the time we got ****ty ports of a nice game.
      (Still remember Ironman game that got graphics of a PS2 and sadly this is not so old...).

      One thing i don't get is most of steam users, you have an info cloud about what OS was used on certain month of this year as well global stats of which users uses intel or amd...damn! xD you even have a full datasheet about the ones using the latest video cards and video cards drivers.

      I can't stop wondering if game studios did look out for that charts. Instead of keeping the old speech = *So many different rigs configurations make the game experience or coding it for PC more difficult to achieve*.

      But you have many excepctions like : Dead space series that NEVER failed to deliver top content and without many high specs requiered.

      I wonder when game studios/developers will start to bet to PC gaming even more, yeah be have also ton of indie games but we need more content.

      You strip Xbox360 or PS3 from their iconic franchises and they are nothing.
      But i give my kudos to PS3 in a way to insert a new way of storage = blu-ray and no to so much on Xb0x360 for getting stuck on DVD dual layer games.

      Now will see who has the power with direct2drive or gaikai tech.
      Plus the new FOX engine of kojima...i was getting really tired of seeing most of the games using UT engine not because i don't like it but i feel that UT engine was overused so many times without delivering good results.

    18. garrettcorn
      10-15-2012
      06:32 PM
      18

      i don't think i will join the party next time around(unless i see some major changes)... the highlight of sony for me was the psp!! the homebrew community for the psp was awesome could go to qj dot net and download something new everyday!!! haven't gotten a psvita(don't even remotely want one!) highly doubt i will be getting a ps4, i don't get much enjoyment anymore from video games, and companies like sony just leave a sour taste in my mouth i was one of the people who actually used otheros and would show friends how i had linux on it, pretty much the only advantage of the ps3 now is that it has a blu-ray player, (the internet browser is crap!!!!! (why the heck didn't sony ever update it???? the ps3 has barely seen any improvements since launch sony needs to get their heads out of their arses and improve stuff... how the heck do you let all your users personal information get stolen??? if they had ever had a update to psn besides adding plus so they could get some money out of customers they would have avoided the issue) would rather surf the internet on a 30 year old computer then on my ps3... that is just sad! Heck the browser on the otheros side of my ps3 was better then the stock ps3 browser... I will not buy another sony product way to many poor business practices and way to few updates that actually update something.. then say fixed a security issue.. why didn't we ever once see a psn update that said fixed a security issue before personal data got stolen... sorry rambling on...


      All in all it is just sad what the ps3 became it had such good potential, but instead just left me with a sour taste for sony in my mouth and will not buy another product from sony (unless i see a major change)

    19. lilkuz2005
      10-15-2012
      07:13 PM
      19

      [MENTION=125372]bigo93[/MENTION]

      Actually I agree with the boycooting part and the you stole me - I steal you part but in the case of games you are just archieving people to lose their jobs and developing/publishing companies closing than actualy Sony getting hurt.

      i think the only companies that would really be hurt by this would be the companies that bring us the exclusive titles, like god of war. remember like 90% of the games that are on the ps3 they also make it for 360 as well, i own 5 ps3's right now, only one is running 3.55 cfw, the rest have all been updated and i feel that if a new exploit doesn't come out soon, ill be selling those other ps3's

    20. Shezed
      10-15-2012
      09:59 PM
      20

      I wonder if some people get paid by Sony to write this marketing Bull article lol

    21. ro4eva
      10-15-2012
      10:14 PM
      21

      I'm so happy I decided to shell out $600 for my 60gb CECHA01 PS3. Best model ever made. I know a lot of peeps keep on saying that since PS3s are not PS2 backwards compatible anymore, that if you wanna play PS2 games, buy a damn PS2. That's fine I suppose, if you're happy. However, playing my favorite PS2 titles over the years with a wireless Dual Shock 3, free/virtual memory cards (run out of space in the middle of a game and you don't wanna delete anything on the memory card? No problem, create a new one in seconds instead of paying $30 each or whatever they used to cost), 1080p upscaled/smoothed hdmi video - IMO the experience is so much better. I know that it took quite a few firmware updates to fix PS2 graphical problems, but after that was fixed and the DS3 finally arrived, bye bye SCPH-50001 PS2. Just kidding I still have it. Messiah modchip - anyone remember them? Very reliable.

    22. Cheesethief
      10-15-2012
      10:42 PM
      22

      [MENTION=13236]VIRGIN KLM[/MENTION] [MENTION=3010]BobbyBlunt[/MENTION]

      I see your points, but still. Even those on the official PS forums are more in the know than average joe with a PS3. This average joe makes up the majority and what has transpired really has probably had 0 effect on him. Most people never used the OtherOS option to begin with, so they probably could not care less that it got removed. Perhaps they did not even notice.

      Remember guys, most people just buy games and play. They don't have time for looking up the latest news on the PS3/whatever other console.

    23. jorru6
      10-15-2012
      11:14 PM
      23

      Hey Just ask $ony to ENABLE Homebrew themselves that alone would make SALEs for a CONSOLE run trough the ROOF..

      And then OTHER OS will just add some more Sales lol

    24. Pingoo
      10-15-2012
      11:28 PM
      24

      Very good article. I remember 2007 and it really was very bad. And all that negative media didn't help either. But since then it really has got much better for the PS3, and it'll probably pass the 360 in terms of sales despite being a year late to the game. I expect the same of Vita. It's just too early to say it's dead.

      I love the PS3 and will most certainly get a PS4 at some point. They really try to deliver the best gaming experience with their emphasis on stellar exclusives. While I don't like some of the stuff they did this gen, I still am very grategul to them for providing me with years of entertainment. Just hope they don't repeat the same mistakes next gen.

    25. BobbyBlunt
      10-15-2012
      11:47 PM
      25

      Originally Posted by Cheesethief
      [MENTION=13236]VIRGIN KLM[/MENTION] [MENTION=3010]BobbyBlunt[/MENTION]

      I see your points, but still. Even those on the official PS forums are more in the know than average joe with a PS3. This average joe makes up the majority and what has transpired really has probably had 0 effect on him. Most people never used the OtherOS option to begin with, so they probably could not care less that it got removed. Perhaps they did not even notice.

      Remember guys, most people just buy games and play. They don't have time for looking up the latest news on the PS3/whatever other console.
      I think you missed my point. Point is that hackers will be blamed for everything that goes wrong on PSN. They dont have to have ever looked at the PS boards to be able to hear it and agree with it because they were told about it on PSN. I played online for years without ever visiting a forum and I knew a lot more than I should have just because of what other people had told me. Look at all the people that blame anonymous for the PSN hack. When PSN went back up I was getting ****ed up messages from long time online friends saying that it is ****ed up I knew about the PSN hack and didnt say a word. Ummmm OK. I was catching bull**** over something that affected me as well as everyone else just because word got around that I like to mod my consoles. These messages came from people that dont use discussion boards or would ever bother even goggling console mods. People make assumptions and spread rumors online just like they do in the real world. That doesn't mean they are right or even have a right to say anything because they have no clue as to WTF they are talking about.

      All I was trying to say in that post is hating Sony because they hate us for being a threat to their investment isn't right. Hate them because of their ****ty business practices but understand their view as a corporation that has millions of customers to try and keep satisfied. Well Sony doesn't care is customers are satisfied, and that is why I hate them now, but hating them for not like modders would be like hating Nintendo for trying to patch the homebrew channel in their system updates, or like hating Microsoft for wanting to stop the RGH and keep those boxes off of Live. If anything I can respect them for at least thinking about what is best for them, and bwhat is best for keeping a majority of customers happy....you know the legit everyday user that just buys and plays games and doesnt get into the looking at console stuff on the internet.

      [MENTION=200937]Cheesethief[/MENTION] I was agreeing with you in my previous post.

    26. Cheesethief
      10-16-2012
      12:47 AM
      26

      Originally Posted by BobbyBlunt
      /snip
      No no, I understood your point. This is one of the reasons why I just keep quiet online about my hacking/modding. The ignorant are just that and will no doubt stay that way.

      I was just elaborating some more on my point, intended as more of a reply to Virgin's post than yours.