For everyone interested in installing gnu/linux:
Check out the wiki: http://wiki.gitbrew.org/index.php/PS3:OtherOS++
06/04/2011 HDD installation for all models
here's the tutorial
NOTICE: All my tools should beep. If you don't get beep during one of the steps below
then stop doing anything and contact me. I will help.
OtherOS++ support: irc.gitbrew.org (ssl) #otheros
ALL PS3 MODELS ARE SUPPORTED !!!
1. Install my latest CFW
2. When installation is finished, go to recovery menu and choose "Restore PS3 System"
3. Now your GameOS should use only the half of your HDD
(Currently working on a better approach)
4. Run setup_vflash_for_otheros_slim.pkg
(NAND owners should use setup_vflash_for_otheros_fat.pkg)
6. Store dtbImage.ps3.bin on USB drive, plug it in and run install_otheros.pkg
(NAND owners should use dtbImage.ps3.bin.minimal). Try different USB ports
if you don't get any beeps.
7. Run boot_otheros.pkg
8. Run reboot.pkg
9. You should be in petitboot now.
Exit from CUI to shell or switch to another virtual console.
10. Run script create_hdd_region.sh
11. Reboot and boot petitboot again
12. You should see now new HDD device on petitboot, /dev/ps3dd.
That's your OtherOS HDD region.
Don't touch any other HDD regions if you don't know what you are doing. Use only ps3dd
device for your Linux installation. Use parted to partition it and create GPT partition
table on ps3dd. GPT is supported by both, Linux and FreeBSD.
Be warned, if you damage your GameOS HDD region, GameOS will reformat HDD and
remove your Linux HDD region in the process. You have to do the above steps again.
Don't mess with GameOS HDD region and GameOS won't mess with your OtherOS HDD region.
For users who installed OtherOS on VFLASH region 7 previously
You have to restore your VFLASH before doing the above steps.
Be warned, this step is NOT for NAND owners.
1. Boot petitboot
2. Run script restore_vflash.sh
3. Reboot. GameOS should reformat your HDD again.
I haven't tested it yet, but i will soon.