Originally Posted by QNBT
After many years of being a NES owner i finally to consider to buy a PS3. Why only "consider" you might ask? Well there are some stuff that i'd like to know before buying it so i thought you guys might be able to help me. I'm posting this as a lot of information on google are outdated, and I cant be certain that even recent post arent outdated.
1. If I am to buy a PS3 (slim, 320GB) now, which version of its software would I most likely get?
2. Am I able to jailbreak my device with that firmware?
3. What could go wrong and how to prevent these mistakes.
4. (In worse case) A common excuse to return/refund PS3.
Additionally I read that some firmware version requires you to update (4.0) and then downgrade, to sucessfully being able to downgrade afterward.
If that is the case, will I still be able to get 4.0 even if sony has a newer version out? I read something about sony blocking the old PSP and only letting PS vita co-op with it, which is why I'm assuming a new release soon.
Thank you for taking your time.
The 320GB Slim currently being produced could be one of two models.
1. If you're getting the model "CECH-25xxB (Slim) "J"" which was first available in July 2010 there's a slight chance that you have a firmware below 3.56 but this most unlikely. I think, you're probably getting the model "CECH-30xxB (Slim) "K"" which is available since October 2011 and that model has a 100% chance of having firmware 3.56+ on it
2. You can jailbreak the first model, IF you have firmware below 3.56. You won't be able to jailbreak the second without the right hardware to downgrade to firmware 3.55.
3. Read the tutorials in the Tutorial section (just click on the banner above) but with firmware 3.55 and kmeaw's custom firmware there's almost no chance of killing (geek term = to brick) your console.
4. Can't help you with that since I never did RMA with my PS3.
Hope I could be of some help