Dear ****ing lord, stop with the whing already. If he doesn't release it, what have you lost? NOTHING. WTF man. Why demand so ****ing much as you do? He is not entitled to give you ****, so if you don't receive anything = Carry on as usual. If you do = Yay, you are in for a treat.
What's up with the "I didn't get enough presents under my christmas tree" attitude? Geez man, its ****ing too much. It's ****ing immature and a ****ty attitude.
No offense, but try to see it from his picture, before you go offensive of him, it sounds as if NONE of you has done that. Really.
1. First of all, there is always a risk for a dev to release something. And consider the fact, that there are actually dev's that works, releases and run a risks for others for free. Thats pretty amazing.
This case is no exceptioj. Even though it it's Cobra's code for the most part, It's still Sony's proprietary code he is reversing - and changing as well, if he decides to release an open version. It DOES step on Sony's toes. Those that come with claims about Sony supporting Cobra since they have not done anything against them, really haven't got an idea about the things work. Believe me, Cobra have no doubt have attempts at being tracked/discovered, but every ****ing trace ends in a ****ing empty apartment in a poor neighbourhood in China most likely. That's scarily (I think that atleast myself) how it works when China is involved. I remember TrueBlue trying to be backtraced as well... It couldn't. All the Clues ended at strange blind alleys in China so to speak (if you know what I mean..
2. He showed doubt about releasing the PS2 side of the payload only. He hasn't shown doubt about releasing anything else.
If we look at his deepening arguments for why he wouldn't release the PS2 payload (sorry - again no offense, but none of you has mentioned his actual reasoning he wrote... To be honest it's scary that you rather assumes than look at his actual following twitter statements as to the reason as), he had a very good reasoning. He said that
had already released a way to run PS2 on non BC consoles.
indeed did post how to run PS2 backups on both BC and non BC consoles. All it required was that you entered service mode I believe on your PS3 before running their method/program, to circumvent the checks that is done on some flags in LV2/GameOS that indicates whether the console is a BC model.
What he would have released, if he decided to release the PS2 payload, was a method for BC compatible consoles mainly to run PS2 ISO's, instead of PS2 gamediscs only.
While ISO loading is fantastic (I would die without multiman... Seriously I would), I understand and respect his concern for piracy there, as normal PS2 game loading is already made possible, though its a big shame. But I see what he is thinking here. It is already possible.
Maybe I don't take it as seriously, because I don't have a BC console, only 2 non-BC CFW consoles, and lets be honest.... running PS2 games on a non-bc console - whether possible or not - yields mostly ****results. But as of now, I understand his reasoning, since he wouldn't bring anything new to the table in terms of game compability etc.
2. On the other hand, he has never mentioned anything about not releasing the PSP payload (although he most likely never will, if people keep moaning and crying about it.... and no, it didn't help moaning and crying in Deank's case... that SURELY wasn't what made him decide to make MM opensource again.... If you noticed, he used something from Estwald/Hermes a few days before that Estwald/Hermes had released under the GNU General Public License (I recall it was that one... Not sure, but it fits atleast
), which basically states that all derived software are allowed to freely use and modify the code, as long as the "derived" work is released under the same condition. Multiman is free, but it is not open source, which Estwald/Hermes also commented on, when Multiman used the payload. He decided in response to that to make his manager open source a few days later. You could say, Deank decided on doing the right most respectful choice there to Estwald/Hermes. (I cannot wait to see, how the future is going to be, when the managers can study its others optimizations and small quirks. I'll most likely keep using multiman anyway, even if just because that is what I am used to, and I like it, it has done for me pretty much all I have had a need to do - my own personal choice).
So basically, being a douché or teabagger will not provoke someone to release something.
3. The reason he probably hasn't mentioned anything about the PSP payload, is because he IS going to release it. The difference between the PS2 payload and the PSP payload, is that no CFW console can play (AFAIK) any PSP games, unlike the BC consoles (and non-BC consoles due to flatz) that can play PS2 games already. He will be bringing someone totally new to the scene to us non cobra users with that payload. He will be bringing us PSP game playback on our CFW consoles, which none of us has been capable of doing before. Therefore I understand it is more justified to release that payload in that sense - and I hope he does it
But we will see. There is no doubt he is a sharp person, and he probably turns every argument, before he does anything.
But there are far bigger and more reasons and arguments that talks for releasing the PSP, than there ever was for releasing the Cobra PS2 payload IMHO, and that is most likely, why he hasn't come with a statement on it.
4. Back in time, at the moment where he initially broke and reversed the Cobra dongle and thus payload, Cobra was only released for CFW 3.55. I actually believe he either asked or stated, whether he should just release it now and screw Cobra over, or if he should wait till Cobra had released their 4.30CFW so he could reverse that and get 4.30CFW capabilities... Something I believe would make most of us prefer that he waited. Had he released it beforehand, Cobra had either stopped releasing (just as Trueblue stopped, when they were reversed), or they would have taken countermeasures (such as releasing a new dongle........), which perhaps would have made it more difficult for him to reverse the 4.30CFW payload.
Who knows, maybe they would also have added more functionality to the 4.30CFW.
Anyhow, I don't think it is a trivial matter of converting the 3.55 payload to the 4.30 firmware, as quite a lot was done to the emulators in the original firmwares between 3.55 and 4.30. That is my understanding atleast.
If we assume that he waited till Cobra had released the 4.30CFW, then the reason he still haven't released anything might just be, because he is reversing that as well now; it could also be that besides that, he is only working on reversing it in his freetime (and we cannot really blame him for that, can we?), something that he might not have in excess lately (which we cannot blame him for either really... Only feel sorry with him for), which he actually stated in another twitter comment, he doesn't have.
I don't think we should fear anything. And even if it never gets released, we certainly haven't lose anything. So being gracious - and perhaps humble and not worship and revere the dev's to celestial positions, only to remove them from that position again as soon as we have an issue with how things are working out, seems to be what equals having the winners dick, in this case.
EDIT: I meant deck in the above line.. not dick. I decided to let it stay now though, for joyous reasons.
Originally Posted by BobbyBangin
Lots of good points. He doesn't owe us anything I guess so it is what it is. I could be wrong. I just want the potential of this thing realized. Like with the Wii. I went through a big workaround to get DVD playback for it although I've never really used it. If it's capable I want it to do it and I at least always have it as a backup. But these here are features I would actually use. I guess that's why we're being charged for them.
Even though I probably would only use the PSP backup play on my PS3 to play the final fantasy games released for the PSP (I'm thinking of the FF VII ones here, such as FF VII Crisis Core - yea), and potential Kingdom Hearts game, I'm sure a lot of people would actually use it a real lot, as it's something completely new and untried. I think the one that were closest to unlocking PSP possibilities besides Cobra (and now octox0r) was Snowydew. I don't know if I should credit
here as well, as I know he did some work with Snowydew, although I don't know exactly what. Looking at the code he has released though, he is skilled... Them germans. Their craftmanship has always been nice, just look at Mercedes, their WW2 tanks or BMW.... Or Toyota.... That last one was a joke.
Hehee, I also went through the trouble of making my Wii a media center (just for maximizing its potential as you say pretty much.. and trying it), _only_ to get another PS3 next to it due to Andreas Oman's wonderful Showtime app.
EDIT: Changed the names/references into mentions, as it seems kinda rude to mention people in a message without _actually_ mentioning them...