Join Date: Nov 2012
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sony bricked my PS3 (I think!)
What model number is your PS3?
CECHG01 (I think this is the model). It is an unmodded 40 Gig FAT PS3 without the PS2 add on.
What firmware is your PS3 on?
Don't know anymore
Is it a hardware problem?
I think so
Is it a software problem?
I think so, too
If it is a software problem, have you made sure that you have downloaded the latest version of this software?
I have tried.
Are you running CFW?
IF CFW means custom firmware, then NO
What CFW are you running?
Is your console bricked?
I think so
If so, do you know why it's bricked?
Cannot boot into XMB. Can only boot into Safe mode menu.
Have you ever downgraded your console with hardware flashers? (Teensy, ProgSkeet, E3 Flasher, etc...)
Have you tried searching the forum for someone experiencing the same problem before posting?
Yes. The only relevent posts I think are related are firmware recovery. I am still trying to diagnose where the problem is.
Describe your problem:
The PS3 has been offline (turned off) for at least 18 months. It had experienced a YLOD, and the owner bought a new one. I acquired the unit and managed to repair the YLOD, and proceeded to 'set up' the unit.
Using XMB menu
1) Deleted all profiles.
2) Created a new profile.
3) Reset to factory defaults.
4) Deleted some downloaded games.
5) Tried to launch a game. It required a PSN sign in.
6) System detected that a required firmware update was needed.
7) Proceeded to update to firmware 4.30
8) system failed to update. It gave an error code but I didn't write it down.
9) Error suggested a reboot
10) Rebooted and tried again.
11) same problem.
12) Third try. Power up, green light, beep, red light and turned off.
At this point, I consider the unit 'bricked' Someone please confirm this diagnosis.
What have you tried to do to resolve this issue yourself:
Searching forums and such, I learned of the Safe mode menu. Also, I was instructed to run the menu in order. By launching that. I can access a few options.
1) Reboot. This works. the system reboots back to the orginal not working state.
2) Factory Defaults. I think this works. It does something and turns off.
3) Restore File system. Here I get Error 8001002B. There are many reasons for this error, none of which I think are relevent, although I would like to be proved wrong.
OK, at this point, I thought the drive is bad. I can add the drive to a PC and format,etc...
Next. I added the drive to another PS3. The XMB booted and I can format the drive.
Putting the drive back in does not change anything
I thought perhaps the firmware was bad, so I tried option 6 with many different firmware versions (official Sony 4.31, and older ones I found here, but I think they are CFW). The system prompts for FW 3.61 or newer to be inserted, and stays 'checking' forever. No change.
I am not interested in running a CFW to play backups or anything like that as I would like to remain online ( I understand the 2 are mutually exclusive). I am interested in a solution that will allow the game which I own to be ripped to the HD and run from that.
So all this said, are there any suggestions. I tried to contact Sony and they immediately stated that the products are robust, and there is a problem with the unit that not many people are having (translate you have to pay to fix it).
Is there any way to force a flash update? Obtain the right flash update?
Any other suggestions on what I may be missing?
Thanks for any help you can provide.