Since its been a slow news week, I thought i would just put this out there. It seems that the team behind the Cobra USB dongle want to port it over to 3.55 firmware. What this means is that the dongle itself can be recognized by firmware 3.55 unlike the others. If you don't know what this dongle does is that it allows for PS1 back up support and PS2 ISO support for those backward compatible models. This update will not require any new hardware but only a software update.
Here is the following quote:
Functions and Features
We are pleased to announce that we are currently working on a solution to enable Cobra USB on PS3 firmware 3.55, with the release expected to take place a few weeks from now. This will bring all of Cobra USB's ground breaking features to the more up-to-date firmware, with the added bonus of removing the need to perform the power/eject cycle to enable the dongle - this will become totally automated. Support for 3.55 will be provided simply as a Cobra USB firmware update, meaning ALL Cobra USB dongles will be supported without the need for a new hardware revision. We will make further details available as the release draws near, keep an eye on this website for updates!
** Blu Ray Movie region free functionality
** Allows you to play Blu Ray movie ISO’s from HDD
** Allows you to play DVD movie ISO’s from HDD
** Integrated support to play PS1 game ISO’s from HDD
** Enjoy PS3 games with files >4GB on external USB HDD
* Supports FAT and SLIM PS3 consoles any region
* Supports versions up to 3.50 (console must be running 3.41)
* Play PS3 games from internal HDD
* MCU firmware and flash firmware updatable using easy to use free PC updater
* First class customer support and free regular firmware upgrades
* No need to open your console, just plug and play
* High quality components and materials used throughout
* Unique and built from scratch Cobra USB manager featuring slick U.I. and customized options with easy navigation
*Actel based encryption engine onboard to prevent device cloning
* Fast onboard 2 Mbyte SPI flash for firmware storage
* High quality onboard MCU
* Easy mode selection via switch (PC update, PS3 downgrader, regular PS3 device mode)
* Downgrader functionality included free of charge, allowing users to upgrade firmware to and from 3.41 at will.
* Multi lingual user interface (English, Spanish and French as standard with more languages to be supported later)
** = World's first implementation