Join Date: Oct 2010
Liked 51 Times in 33 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dealing with PS1 memory cards on the PS3: A Guide
This guide will explain how to convert PSV files to MCR files, convert MCR files to VM1 files(which are the memcard files the ps3 uses), and extract individual saves off the PS3.
Getting your MCR file onto your PS3:
1. Run an FTP program on your PS3, connect to it, and go to /dev_hdd0/savedata/vmc.
1a. In there you'll see your virtual ps1/ps2 memcards.
2(optional, but recommended instead of step 2!): To avoid a problem where the XMB won't see your memory card, if it's named differently than Internal PS1 Memory Card(2), I'd suggest doing this instead: Create a blank PS1 memory card on the XMB with the default name(Internal PS1 Memory Card), or a name you'll remember, then in the FTP program, just overwrite Internal PS1 Memory Card.VM1 with your memcard renamed to the same thing. If you don't want to do this, you'll have to boot into the PS3's recovery mode to Rebuild Database before the XMB will see your new memory card. The PS1 emulator mode will see your memcards, regardless(you can't export saves from it, though).
3. Exit your FTP app.
4. Boot any PS1 game on your PS3(original, preferably, I haven't tried MultiMAN burned games yet, it might freeze the PS3 if you assign slots when running the emu from MultiMAN).
5. Press the PS button, go to assign slots, and assign your new memory card to a slot. This will update the contents of the memory card on the XMB as well(but it will not make new ones show up!).
6. Play and save as normal(you don't HAVE to save to get the contents of your new memcard to show up, you just have to do step 5, but why would you boot a game unless you're going to play it? ].
Make a MCR file from PSV(good for if you don't have a homebrew PS3):
1. Make sure your PS3 is on and you have a USB stick handy(any size is fine).
2. Go into Memory Card Utility(PS/PS2), under GAME.
3. Highlight the virtual memory card with the save[s] you want to export.
4. Press X/O on the memory card to display its contents.
5. Select the save you want to export, press Triangle, and then Copy. Choose your USB stick to save it there.
6. Repeat step 5 for each save you want to export. You can't export the whole memory card at once, without homebrew.
7. When you're finished, remove the USB stick from the ps3, plug it into your PC.
8. Open MemcardRex, go to Edit -> Import Save, and go to USBDRIVE:/PS3/EXPORT/PSV. USBDRIVE is the drive letter of your USB stick. Inside will be all of the saves you extracted from the PS3. For further imports, you'll need to select the other "Free slot" items in the list, in the window.
9. Once you've repeated step 8 until you have as many saves as you want on the memory card, go to File -> Save As, make sure Save As Type is "ePSXe/PSEmu Pro Memory Card (*.mcr)", and then just save it wherever you want.
Converting a PS3 VM1 file to MCR(good for if you have a homebrew PS3):
1. Use an FTP program and navigate to /dev_hdd0/savegame/vmc
2. Download all the VM1 files you want to convert.
3. Rename their file extension to .MCR
4. You're done.
Todo: Insert screenshots to clarify, if necessary.
Any suggestions are welcome.